What is Mold?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
classifies mold as: "a health risk for anyone with asthma, allergies, difficulty breathing, undergoing cancer treatment, people taking medications that suppress the immune system, and anyone who has recenty had surgery.
Mold is a natural part of our environment, However, excessive mold found indoors can cause serious health issues." Mold reproduces by the process of tiny, invisible spores which float through outdoor an indoor air. Mold spores become a problem when they land on a wet or damp surface, which causes them to grow.
Mold can cause allergic reactions, are irritants, and in some cases, can be potentially toxic. Some allergic reactions that mold may cause include: hay fever-type symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rashes. Individuals with asthma who are allergic to mold may experience breathing difficulties.
Mold may also be hidden. You may suspect hidden mold if your home or building has a moldy odor, nut you can't see visible mold. Hidden mold may be found in places such as the back of dry wall, wallpaper, paneling, ceiling tiles, or carpets and pads.
Mold spores will continue to grow if there is moisture present and if ventilation issues are not addressed. Therefore, it is important to find and treat mold growth as well as correct any moisture and ventilation issues. "dead Mold" may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be treated.